Thursday, January 31, 2008

Wifey-on-Her-Own Week

Out of necessity, I do the majority of the cooking in our house. I get home anywhere from 1.5-2 hours before DH so I make dinner five nights a week. We do, however, go out Friday and Saturday nights. We live in a great area with lots of restaurants so we head out (and give me a break!).

Wifey-on-Her-Own week is still happening and I have found that I'm reverting to a lot of bad cooking habits. (Note: I don't like to cook, I just happen to do it because of the time thing.) Anywho, I've been very lazy this week in terms of meals. Normally I make things from scratch since we don't eat a lot of processed foods. This week I have had (in order): mac and cheese, leftovers, and microwaved veggies. Not so fabulous.

Well, last night I decided that I'd do some lazy "cooking" but still make a decent meal. I microwaved the prepared lentils from Trader Joe's. (Note: I LOOOOVE TJs. One of my qualifications for where we live in CA is based on the locations of their TJs.) I then squeezed in a lemon and tossed in a bunch of chopped basil. Yum.

I still wanted something to balance out the lentils so I made one of our go-to salads: beet root with goats cheese. We make a variation of this salad probably every ten days. Basically toss together:

*salad leaves (spinach for me)
*dressing made from balsamic vinegar, olive oil (not virgin), s&p, and herbs
*chopped beet root (TJs has pre-steamed baby beets in the produce section)
*toasted and chopped nuts (walnuts are the best)
*soaked chopped, dried fruit (usually figs or cranberries)
*slices of goats cheese (I've found *GREAT* lemon or cranberry goats cheese at HT.)

Anywho...YUMMY dinner and I actually felt like I had a decent dinner without cooking. I honestly can't believe I ate mac and cheese for dinner the other night. Am I still in college? No. C'mon Elliot...let's be a grownup!

No comments: