Saturday, June 28, 2008

I'm late for a jean folding seminar. Let's locomote!

DH got a wicked case of food poisoning last night so I've been watching Encore for the past six hours, trying not to make any noise while he gets some sleep. If you recognize the above title, then you know I've been watching that early 90s classic, Reality Bites.

I first saw RB back when I was 13. At the time I thought Troy (Ethan Hawke) was the ultimate dirty rocker. (This was the early 90s, remember.) He made witty, pithy comments ("Hello, welcome to the winter of our discontent."), wore dirty clothing, sang in a dark cafe, smoked Camel Straights and rode his own melt.

Now I think: "Eh. Notsomuch."

If my best friend/lover/wannabe maybe boyfriend EVER said this to me:

You can't navigate me. I may do mean things, and I may hurt you, and I may run away without your permission, and you may hate me forever, and I know that scares the living shit outta you 'cause you know I'm the only real thing you got.

I would slap him. Hard.

Jackass.

Other thought:

1. This was the first movie Ben Stiller directed. He also had huge hair as evidenced by this:
2. Dear Winona, I know you were the prototypical 90s waif. But always wear a bra. Always. Thank you, Elliot's eyes.

3. EVERYONE in the movie smoked. I understand how it was "cool" back then but it really amazes me now.

4. Jeanine Garafolo - HILARIOUS. As usual.

5. I laughed out-loud when seeing the following pieces of technology: Lelaina's camcorder, all of the non-cordless telephones, the antique answering machine, and the use of a payphone.
6. The best part of the movie is still the soundtrack which I listened to NON STOP throughout 1994 and into 1995. I amazed myself by still knowing all the words including the rap by Me Phi Me. (Why is it I can remember songs from 15 years ago but not where I put my keys? It's a mystery...)

No comments: