Thursday, June 26, 2008

Come on Get Higher



Ok, so this is a funny albeit long story.

Background: I did a LOT of band promotion back in the mid 90s-early 2000s. I met a lot of great bands when they were the opener to the opener to the opener. Ex: I gave away autographed copies of John Mayer's first recording to all of my friends and their friends for TWO YEARS out of my own pocket because I thought he was awesome. I even bought show tickets for folks and told them to pay me back if they didn't agree he was awesome. Anywho...

I was flipping through my old photos and found one of me and my old band buddy with a young singer-songwriter circa 1999; Matt Nathanson. Dude was really entertaining and a very nice guy when we hung out.

Flip to this morning. I turned on KPRI this morning and an EXTREMELY catchy tune was on. I was listening and listening going "I know that voice. Where do I know that voice?" You guessed it - it's Matt! I feel warm fuzzies for all of the bands that I meet that break on national radio. Those guys (and girls) have a tough life; it's awesome when they get the fans and attention that they deserve.

Anywho...please enjoy the video and buy Matt's album!

PS - I just watched the video again and DAAAAMN if Mr. Nathanson hasn't grown right up. I mean, hell, he's a man now. And I think he's the only guy besides Lenny Kravitz who has looked better with a nose ring.

1 comment:

summerprep said...

That is so awesome that you met Matt! I've been a fan probably since around 2000 and he seriously is one of my favorite performers ever.. not only is he a great musician, but he's hilarious too. So glad to see him getting some radio play!