Saturday, April 26, 2008

Finally

This morning I decided to tackle on of those jobs that you put off for, oh say, MONTHS because you just don't want to do it. I desperately needed to tame my makeup bag:
I don't know if you can tell how big is that momma. It's about the size of a kid's backpack and filled to the bring with god knows how old eye shadows and weird colored lip glosses.

After consulting an issue of Glamour, I immediately tossed those that were too old to keep. This still left my entire sink covered in "good" makeup. I sat myself down on the edge of the tub and had a heart to heart with myself.

"Elliott, do you really need purple glitter eyeshadow?"
"I could use it wet as an eyeliner!"
"Really? Reeeally?"
"Ok, ok. You win."
"Thank you. Let's me sensible and keep things that are pretty and make us look fabulous and professional."
"I should keep the four MAC black kohl eyeliners, though, right? I mean, you never know when you might need..."
"Elliott! THROW IT AWAY! STOP HOARDING! THEY'RE GOING TO FIND YOUR DECAYING BODY NEXT TO DECADES OLD NEWSPAPERS AND CAT FOOD!"

And voila, this is what I'm left with (not including brushes or the lip glosses and balms I keep in my handbag):


  • L'Oreal Bare Naturale Mineral foundation and concealer. Just as good as Bare Escentuals and half the price. The built in brushes, however, blow so I use my MAC brushes. Bonus: built in SPF 19 (but really, you should be applying a separate SPF).
  • Benefit Dandelion and (tiny) Benetint. Love, love, love Benefit products. However, I've kept a Benetint for years which is totally EW-worthy. I've stopped buying it and instead get it as a sample when I buy my Dandelion and lip glosses online. The little sample tube lasts a month or two and then you can chuck it without worries.
  • Paula Dorf eyebrow powder. It has two shades in the pot and the lighter one is a perfect match. I only break this out when I need to feel reeally polished.
  • Nars Orgasm blush and Kilimanjaro eyeshadow duo. Nars products have the best pigment. I hardly ever buy them (why, I don't know) but I'm always extremely pleased with their quality. And who wouldn't want a blush called Orgasm?
  • MAC concealer, blush, and quad of eyeshadows. For years, all I wore was MAC. The concealer is the best on the market, hands down. I finally found a couple colors in MAC that make me look pretty but not made up. Sold.
  • Lorac Croc palette with four eyeshadows and a blush. This is my holy grail product. All of the colors look amazing, they blend incredibly well. I can do totally natural with a little shimmer or big and dramatic by utilizing the smokey chocolate brown shadow. The blush is a pretty neutral that does an amazing job contouring my (non-existent) cheekbones.
  • L'Oreal Voluminous mascara. I buy a new one every month and haven't found my holy grail. Honestly, it makes much more of a difference if you properly curl your eyelashes than all the muckity-muck that they put into the 8000 mascaras in the market.
  • Sally Hansen buff block and nail strengthener. I like a weekly manicure but if I don't, I use these two to fake it.
  • Neutrogena Lip Nutrition Honey Rescue Balm. No matter how chapped my lips get snowboarding, this fixes it overnight. And it tastes delish so yay. :)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I know this post is ancient, but I just had to comment - my holy grail of mascara is Diorshow, hands down. I used L'Oreal Voluminous exclusively until I found Diorshow. It's more expensive than drugstore mascaras (obviously), but entirely worth it.