Saturday, September 6, 2008

Damn straight.


Gloria Steinem rocks my face off in "Palin: wrong woman, wrong message" in the LA Times. It eloquently says what I cannot. My personal favorite part:

"[Palin] believes that creationism should be taught in public schools but disbelieves global warming; she opposes gun control but supports government control of women's wombs; she opposes stem cell research but approves "abstinence-only" programs, which increase unwanted births, sexually transmitted diseases and abortions; she tried to use taxpayers' millions for a state program to shoot wolves from the air but didn't spend enough money to fix a state school system with the lowest high-school graduation rate in the nation; she runs with a candidate who opposes the Fair Pay Act but supports $500 million in subsidies for a natural gas pipeline across Alaska; she supports drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve, though even McCain has opted for the lesser evil of offshore drilling. She is Phyllis Schlafly, only younger."

Why oh why do people believe she should be one second away from the Presidency? Stop being swayed by her being female. Stop being swayed that she's a working mom. Look at her stance on the issues, please, please, please!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I just stumbled across your blog by accident and couldn't agree more about this! ARRG, it has been bothering me SO MUCH that people are being blinded by the fact that she's a woman and not really looking at the real issues at hand and the fact that if you dig a tiny bit deeper than the surface, this chick really is not even close to the squeeky clean thing they think she is. Ugh. Great article there!

adozeneggs said...

I found you through the Grosgrain Garage and am so happy there are preps out there that don't want to vote for this candidate. Aside from ALL the other issues, when I heard about this wolf hunting from helicopters my heart sank. What kind of humanity does one have to support this practice? I can't stop thinking about it. Great article, I'll be sure to read more of your blog, rock on!!

Anonymous said...

Hello! So cool that you are going to the Lake District at the week end! Where abouts is the wedding?! I would definitely pack an all weather jacket - of the north face / berghaus variety, a gilet, jeans, boots, a mac, and layers for the wedding! Definitely tights - this is not bare leg weather! I went to a wedding at Ullswater in March and half of the female guests had cardigans with them - not super chic, but indispensible here!

Always Organizing said...

Great post!!! I totally agree.

Lauren @ Adventures of a Southern Newlywed said...

I am glad that we are at a point where we have a female VP candidate and a black male candidate. However - I plan to vote according to the way that I feel about the issues regardless of the candidates gender. I hope that other people will do the same.

adozeneggs said...

Hey, I like your blog so much, I added you to my blogroll. Hope it's ok with you!!!

Anonymous said...

The Swan at Newby Bridge is so close to where I live!! It's beautiful - at the bottom of Windermere, by the river. Great base ofr exploring the lakes as its on a bus route and near the steamer that takes you to Windermere and Bowness. I have a ton of tips of where to go for knick-knack shopping, if you are interested! Do you like outdoor sports like sailing and riding? Can give you some good tips on that as well - I am so excited FOR you! YOU MUST GO TO AFTERNOON TEA - TRY MILLER HOWE - ITS A MUST!! OR SHARROW BAY - you can probably get in mid week if you book now!

Unknown said...

My thoughts exactly! Hope you had a great trip.

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I couldn't agree more!! It makes me so sad that people would stand behind this woman who is so anti progress for women, our nation, and the globe! And that suddenly everything is about her being a her. So now everything is sexist? Well I find it rather anti-female to believe in anti-choice. And anti-american to stand against stem cell research and general human equlality.