Sunday, May 3, 2009

Race for Literacy 8k

If I can go ahead and give myself a pat on the back, I finished my first race today!

The Race for Literacy 8k starts in Balboa park, winds north of the park and then cruises down the 163 into downtown.

Big props to DH who woke up at 6:30 to drive me to the start. He then went back home, crashed for 30min and then picked out a spot on 5th ave (about a 1/3 mile from the finish) to cheer me home.

That's me, in the blue capris.
Wow, totally unflattering photo!

Why has no one ever told me I have a flat ass?

All finished. Where's my banana?

The race itself was uneventful. I would like to thank the race designer for letting us run 1/4 mile down the 163 ramp. That was an awesome break.

In other news, my nike+ sensor is officially completely screwed up. I've calibrated it three times now and it's still very off. It told me I had gone 6.2km by the end of the 8k. Not cool.

I finished four minutes faster than I had planned, mostly because I couldn't tell how fast I was running due to the malfunctioning nike+. I had to depend on the volunteers at the mile markers to yell out my times. I kinda wish I had dropped another minute - that would have meant I dropped a minute from my mile!

The run through Balboa was beautiful. The flowers were out in force and it smelled like honeysuckle and lime blossoms. Someone needs to make a perfume that smells exactly like that particular combo. Delish!

I'm really glad I had my ipod with me. I amused myself greatly by putting together a new playlist of "running" songs including:

  • (It's getting) Hot in Herre - Nelly
  • Need Some Air - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
  • Closer - NIN
  • Harder to Breathe - Maroon 5
  • (See you at the) Bitter End - Placebo
Bitter End came on right as I hit the one-mile to go sign. I kicked it up from there. Hooah.

After the race DH took me out for breakfast at Shakespeare's Pub and I had a massive omelet with (gasp) ham. It was awesome.

The diet resumes tomorrow.

No comments: