Saturday, August 8, 2009

RIP, director of my child/teen-dom.

I am so sad that John Hughes has died.

As we all know, I went to an all-girls boarding school in the middle of no-where. We had two tv rooms (one in each dorm) and MANY a Saturday afternoon was spent watching TBS run 16 Candles, The Breakfast Club, and Pretty in Pink.

(Side note: did anyone else notice this in the mid/late 90s? JH movies were on EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND.)

I can remember the very first time I saw The Breakfast Club. Hoo boy, I had such a little rebellious crush on Judd Nelson's character. "Being bad feels pretty good, huh?" Hee.

You certainly can't deny that Molly Ringwald giving Judd her diamond earring was a pretty sweet gesture at the end of the movie. *fist pump into the air*

Was anyone else disappointed that we never heard the end of his joke:

"A naked blonde walks into a bar with a poodle under one arm, and a two-foot salami under the other. The bartender says, I guess you won't be needing a drink. Naked lady says...
OOOH SHIT!!!"

Man, I'm going to have to dig a copy of the BC out of storage and give it a whirl while DH is gone this week. But back to John Hughes:

Think about all the other great movies he directed or wrote:

Ferris Bueller - "Not that I condone fascism or any ism for that matter. Isms in my opinion, are not good. A person should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself."

National Lampoon's Vacation/European Vacation/Vegas Vacation and most importantly, Christmas Vacation.









"Clark! I don't want to spend the holidays dead!"










"Look kids...Big Ben! Parliament!












Weird Science - "So what would you little maniacs like to do first?


And then there are the movies that you probably forgot he was instrumental in bringing to the screen.

Home Alone, anyone? 101 Dalmatians? Beethoven?


He was able to tell the truth about being a teenager with a lot of truth and a heavy dose of humor.




RIP, John Hughes. We're gonna miss you.


No comments: